While your refrigerator should keep food perfectly chilled, it should never freeze it solid. Why is my fridge suddenly freezing everything? A temperature setting that’s too low will cause certain items to freeze. Learn the most common reasons for a Whirlpool refrigerator freezing food so you can restore its chill.
5 Reasons For a Whirlpool Refrigerator Freezing Food
As frustrating as it is to find your refrigerated foods frozen, there’s usually a simple solution. From adjusting the temperature to rearranging items, here’s how to fix a Whirlpool refrigerator freezing food.
Refrigerator Temperature Issues
When food is freezing inside the refrigerator the first step is to check its temperature settings. If the temperature is set too low in either the freezer or refrigerator, food may start to freeze. Whirlpool recommends a refrigerator temperature range of 38-40℉ and a freezer range of 0-2℉. Consult your user manual to determine how to adjust the temperatures on your model refrigerator.
If you find your Whirlpool fridge freezing food on lowest setting, raise the temperature one degree within these ranges. Allow the refrigerator at least 8 hours to reach its new temperature before considering another adjustment.
Food Storage Location
The refrigerator has air vents in various locations to emit and circulate cool air. If stored items are placed directly in front of these vents, they may freeze from the constant cold air exposure. If you find your Whirlpool refrigerator freezing food, make sure there are no stored items directly in front of an air vent. In general, it’s best to keep a one-inch perimeter around the refrigerator’s walls for optimal air circulation.
Too Empty Inside Refrigerator
Stocking your refrigerator adequately is just as important as where you place each item. A well-stocked refrigerator is better able to absorb cold air. If there are too few items, cold air settles on the bottom. When this happens you may find your Whirlpool refrigerator freezing vegetables and fruits in the produce drawers. Aim to keep your refrigerator at least ¾ of the way full to prevent cold air from settling and items from freezing.
Condenser Coils Are Dirty
The condenser coils cool circulating refrigerant so it can produce cool air for the refrigerator. If they become dusty or dirty, the refrigerant may not cool adequately, prompting the condenser to work harder. When the condenser is overworked, it may produce an excess of cold air, to the point where your Whirlpool refrigerator freezes food. If your model refrigerator permits it, most refrigerator cleaning tips recommend regular condenser coil cleanings every 6-12 months.
Here’s how to clean Whirlpool refrigerator condenser coils:
- Disconnect the refrigerator’s power.
- Remove the lower base grille to access the coils.
- Use a vacuum’s brush attachment to gently vacuum away dust and debris in and around the coils.
- Replace the lower base grille and restore power.
Defective Refrigerator Parts
If these troubleshooting tips fail to pinpoint why your refrigerator freezes food, a defective part may be responsible.
The following parts can result in a Whirlpool refrigerator freezing food and require a professional refrigerator repair service:
- Damper control assembly: Many refrigerator vents have a damper control that opens and closes to control the flow of cold air. If the damper is stuck in the open position or a component fails, too much cold air will enter the refrigerator and freeze food.
- Thermistor: The thermistor monitors the temperature of the cold air entering the refrigerator, signaling the control board for more as needed. If it malfunctions, the thermistor won’t accurately monitor the temperature and excessively cold air can freeze food.
- Thermostat control: Similar to the thermistor, the thermostat control monitors the refrigerator’s internal temperature, sending voltage to the compressor if it gets too warm. If it malfunctions, the thermostat won’t accurately register the temperature or signal the compressor appropriately. When this happens, too much cold air will enter the refrigerator.
Our technicians can fix a Whirlpool refrigerator freezing food with an expert repair. Contact Apex Appliance Service today!